Well, yesterday started out as quite a lovely day. Except I had to pay for the Herb Garden, which was painful.
But then, at 2:31pm all hell broke loose with another strong earthquake:
NZST: Friday, August 16 2013 at 2:31:06 pm
Depth: 17 km
Location: 5 km east of Seddon
It was downgraded to a 6.2 later on – but basic gist of it was:
Holy Crap -Dive for the table, cover, and hold on for dear life!
I bumped my head on the table – but that was because somehow, mid dive, my mobile was Beeping as a text from hubby came in, and I stupidly tried to grab it off the kitchen bench on my way to safety.
Note to self: texts can wait till the bloody shaking stops!
All afternoon and evening we were inundated with aftershocks, so geonet was a mass of red and pink alerts (colour coding is so dramatic! The Geonet screenshots show the earliest quakes at the bottom, and the newest at the top:
So that was the first 45 minutes of diving for cover. And sending texts to hubby to figure out a plan of action.
The quake drums also make for scary reading:
Seddon and Blenhiem were pretty badly hit – with a lot of damage to buildings, and to infrastructure and roads. In fact one guy had phoned into the news and was saying that anyone with a brain would be getting the hell out of Seddon as soon as possible. I cant say I blame him to be honest. It was pretty scary up here, and we are a fair way from the epicenter.
Wellington was chaos. All the trains were cancelled, and pretty much anyone with a car in town was in it and on the road out immediately so they sat in a very rare traffic jam. And offices turfed everyone out onto the streets immediately – even if there was no damage in the building. So basically – the day population of the capital was out on the streets with no where to go. Even buildings such as Telecom Central – built to withstand these quakes were turfing out.
So that left a lot of people with nowhere to go – so the bars did a roaring trade!
Thankfully, one of our plans is that if the trains are cancelled, we don’t try and get out another way if it’s actually safe enough to stay, we get a hotel, so hubby ended up at the Amora for the night. Although I would like to say a big thank you to the staff at The City Life hotel who amidst chaos and probably their own fear actually did get back to me about a room as well, but Hubby was sorted by then. And he has a small emergency pack which he keeps at one of the offices he works at, so has enough to get by.
I had been drinking coffee by the bucket load just in case I needed to do a rescue-run, so of course I then couldn’t sleep. Not that sleeping was that easy with then feeling every tiny movement in the house. I watched a lot of telly!
So the upshot is that the shaking continues, and we really have no idea how long this will last, or if it will settle down / get worse / stop. The trains were back on this morning, so Hubby finally got home at about 11:30, and we wait to see how things pan out. And occasionally stop to wonder why we chose to move into the middle of the ring of fire!